Coffee lovers and tea aficionados are constantly looking for ways to enhance their hot drink experience. Some people believe that a kettle is just a kettle, but they are unaware of the benefits of investing in a top-notch pour-over kettle.
If you are the type to pay for high-quality coffee beans and fancy teas, you’ll want to make sure you are getting the best coffee, tea, or hot drink experience. Getting the best out of your hot drink experience means making sure you have the right tools and technique that will mean that the coffee beans or the tea herbs are handled properly.
Investing in a quality pour over coffee kettle is one of the best ways to ensure an amazing hot drink experience.
What’s A Pour Over Coffee Kettle?
A pour-over coffee kettle has a long spout which gives users optimal control over pouring and extraction. Also known as a gooseneck kettle, a pour over coffee kettle provides a degree of control over the flow of the water. Unlike conventional standard kettles, the pour-over kettle is proven to create high-quality results for freshly brewed coffee and hot steamed teas. These can be electric or stove top kettles with many purists opting for the stovetop designs for added flair.
Why Use A Gooseneck Kettle For Pour Over Coffee?
Any coffee lover should use a gooseneck kettle for pour over coffee. The gooseneck kettle is known as an iconic and historical feature in contemporary coffee and tea brewing. The kettles are beautiful with long swan necks and ergonomic handles. The concisely tapered spout creates the ideal device for precise coffee brewing. The gooseneck kettle is appealing to the eye and it makes the perfect hot drink. Using a gooseneck kettle provides a stylish and efficient brewing experience. Cleanliness should also be a priority when it comes to kettles - see our Kettle Cleaning Guide on how to clean your kettle.
Here are a few things to consider if you are wondering if a gooseneck kettle is the right purchase for you:
- Have you spent time watching youtube videos or reading about manual coffee brewing? If so, you’re probably a coffee lover and you would benefit from having a gooseneck kettle.
- Do you manually brew coffee often? If yes, a gooseneck kettle will make this task much more efficient and precise.
- Do you invest in quality coffee beans and expensive herbal teas? Do you love the perfect hot drink made by hand in your own home? If so, a gooseneck coffee kettle will be a great addition to your coffee supply collection.
- Do you love beautifully crafted supplies and utensils in your kitchen? The gooseneck kettle comes in many unique designs depending on brand, they are a great accessory for any kitchen.
Gooseneck kettles are the perfect gift for a coffee lover. They are stylish and elegant. This eye-catching device could be an awesome addition to any kitchen, and a great tool for anyone trying to achieve a perfect and precise brew. Use a gooseneck kettle to create specialized drinks with the ultimate ease and consistency.
Pros Of Using A Gooseneck Kettle For Pour-Over Coffee
- Users can easily pour the precise measurement of water necessary for your brew.
- Users can control the speed of the release of water and stop when necessary.
- Each coffee ground can be evenly hit with water as poured.
- Excellent for coffee dates or serveing guests in the home.
- Avoid spills and messes
- Create a consistent brew every time.
Most Recommended Pour-Over Coffee Kettles
Here are some of the most recommended pour-over kettles from some of the most high-quality kettle brands in the world.
Fellow Stagg EKG Electric Kettle
This kettle by Fellow is designed for the ultimate coffee lover. The Fellow Stagg EKG Electric Kettle is equipped with all of the standard features like variable temperature control and a stunning minimalistic design.
Bonavita Variable Gooseneck Kettle 1L
The Bonavita Variable Gooseneck Kettle 1L offers optimal consistency and precision. It offers controlled pouring and water temperature that creates an essential and rich balance for tea and coffee brews.
Hario Mini Drip Kettle – Tetsu Kasuya
The Hario Mini Drip Kettle Tetsu Kasuya is a member of the world-renowned Tetsu Kasuya family, famous for winning the 2016 World Brewers Cup. Hario and Kasuya have joined together to create the perfect manual kettle with expert functionality. The Hario’s mini drip functionality creates the perfect release for a small cup of tea or a delicious cup of coffee. See our Hario V60 Brewing Guide for more information on brewing with Hario.
Brewista 1.2L Smart Pour Variable
The Brewista kettles are all known for their excellent functionality and precision. The Brewista 1.2L Smart Pour Variable Kettle is specially built as an empowering brew tool for the coffee and tea enthusiast. It allows users to set a time to bring the water to boil at the optimal temperature.
The Brewista kettle is programmable, with temperature settings that include presets for coffee and multiple tea types, which the kettle can achieve with less than 1 degree of error. You'll never have to guess the temperature of your water again when the Brewista kettle displays it on an LCD screen.
Best Brews For Gooseneck Kettles
Fellow Stagg White Kettle
Here are some fun brews to try with your gooseneck kettle:
Classic Coffee Brew
- The classic coffee brew contains a water ratio between 1:14 and 1:18.
- We recommend using a total of 32g (or 6 tablespoons) of coffee and approximately 544g of water.
- We recommend using filtered or bottled water for the optimal taste.
- Use your gooseneck coffee kettle to boil the water to about 195 and 205 degrees.
- Begin brewing by rinsing the filter with hot water as a preheating process.
- Use your gooseneck kettle to pour around 10% of the complete water volume and tie for around 30-45 seconds.
- Use your gooseneck kettle to pour in a slow and controlled circular motion and the begin to pour directly into the center of the cone.
- Aim to brew between 3:00 and 3:30 seconds and serve deliciously brewed coffee.
Woodneck Coffee Brew
- Use a small divot and place it in the middle of the grounds.
- Create moisture on the coffee with about 10% of the total water volume.
- Pour slowly in small circles until the volume of coffee is reached.
- Enjoy a delicious brew created with precision.
Does A Gooseneck Kettle Brew Taste Better?
Gooseneck coffee kettles give full control over the amount of water poured into a special brew. Precision in pouring the coffee allows for an accurate blend which leads to a better tasting coffee. An even pouring creates a drastic change in flavor of the brew. A precise pour balances the coffee grounds and ultimately reduces the bitterness and sourness of the coffee.
Gooseneck vs. Stout Spout
The stout spout kettle design is a rendition of the gooseneck design featuring a short and thick spout. Kettles like the Brewista 1.2L Stout Spout Kettle use the stout spout design to allow brewers to pour quicker while maintaining the benefit of control that comes with a traditional gooseneck spout. The stout spout kettle is perfect for when you are running late or looking for a quick brewing experience.
Pour Over Coffee Kettle Features
One of the best things about choosing a gooseneck coffee kettle is the abundance of features that are included in many of the most popular kettles. Advancements kettle designs have allowed customers to choose from electric gooseneck kettles vs. stovetop kettles. Kettles include automatic features, timers, and special materials that allow for a delicious and precise brew. Here are a few of the most useful features of some of the most efficient gooseneck kettles.
Electric vs. Stovetop Coffee Kettles
One great feature of the gooseneck is the versatility between the electric and the stovetop coffee kettle. Here are a few differences between the two:
- Usually less expensive than an electric kettle
- Uses fewer voltages of power and which ultimately leads to a lower power bill
- Comes in vintage designs that give an interesting pop of decor in your kitchen.
- Works much faster than a stovetop kettle
- Usually includes variable control options that allow for a more controlled temperature and brewing process.
- Convenient to use and travel with
- Easy to try new recipes and experiments with
Features Of Gooseneck Kettles
Hario Buono Matt Black Kettle
Variable Temperature Kettles
This feature allows users to set an exact temperature for the electric kettles. The function is included on kettles like the Brewista 1.2L Smart Pour Variable and the Hario V60 Buono Variable Temperature Kettle.
Built-In Temperature Gauge
The avid coffee brewer will need a temperature gauge in a coffee kettle in order to ensure coffee is brewed at an exact temperature. This feature is most common on high-end stovetop kettles like the Kinto Stainless Pour Over Kettle.
An auto hold function allows the water temperature to be held at a constant state. This will allow your coffee brewing to be extremely precise and for you to brew your coffee at specific temperatures in order to get consistent results every time.
The automatic start function is useful if you're one of those people who have a cup of coffee at the exact same time every morning. It allows you to have your coffee machine start brewing just as you wake up. Brewing time is automatically started and can be set on kettles like the Brewista 1.2L Stout Spout Kettle.
Use a built-in timer to have your coffee brewed for an exact amount of time. This function is available on many electric gooseneck units like the Brewista 1.2L Stout Spout Kettle – Variable and the Brewista Artisan Gooseneck Variable Kettle.
What Is The Best Pour Over Coffee Kettle For You?
Choosing the best gooseneck kettle depends on your personal needs and wants. Coffee aficionados may go for a more sleek and fancy electric gooseneck kettle that provides all of the features mentioned above. Coffee lovers who enjoy a more traditional brewing process may decide to choose a stovetop kettle with an older classic design. Hot drink lovers who want their drink done in a speedy manner will go for the electric kettle, while others may go for a stovetop kettle. Brewers looking for an extremely precise brew will go for a kettle with a longer and sleeker neck, while those who want a faster release may choose a shorter neck kettle. View our range of pour over coffee kettles and select the perfect gooseneck kettle for your needs.